Saturday, March 1, 2008

More beautiful snow.

Shabbat, March 1, 2008
Truly a winter wonderland in NH.





We are close to breaking the record on snow totals for our state this year. It is beautiful. I love looking out the window and seeing the frosted tree limbs. It’s a great day for me to write, play with my art supplies and say a few prayers. While I’m not an observant Jew, I always feel a connection to the spiritual and believe in having a sabbath day. I bought a new prayer book recently, (Siddur Eit Ratzon, Shiviti Publications
) and have been enjoying the more modern translations and meditations.

Joe helped me mount my art exhibit this week. I am the “Artist of the Month” for March at the Jewish Federation of New Hampshire, 698 Beech Street, Manchester. The building is open on weekdays, 8:30 to 4:00. I have already had some positive feedback (which a creative person always appreciates). This is my second exhibit and I’m still nervous about what people think of my work.

I finished my six week art class, “Bootcamp Drawing” with Cameron Bennett. It was very intense for me, especially since I don’t like drawing with charcoal. Cameron was attempting to teach me how to draw without using technical aids like grids. Just to draw what I see. He’s a good teacher, but I definitely need to work on this area. I have so many creative images in my head (from my poetry and my busy brain), but I need to have better technical skills to get them out on paper. Will keep working. [Sometimes I see myself as the turtle, slow and steady, but I eventually get where I’m going.]

My business (Z-Best Bookkeeping) tends to keep me too busy during the week, so the creative side has to wait for the weekends to play. People wonder how I can do bookkeeping (the logical/mathematical stuff) and poetry or art. I don’t see any problem. Both sides of my brain seem to be working well. There is creativity involved in problem solving, especially when I am called in as a QuickBooks Certified Proadvisor to do some trouble shooting.

No comments: