A Visible Voice is the blog of artist and poet Linda H. Feinberg formerly of Manchester, New Hampshire, now in Boise, Idaho. Prints and cards may be purchased at my website store: http://www.lindafeinberg.com
This was my very first attempt with acrylics, using them transparently, mixed with water on cold press paper. I was very unhappy with the result, but figured it was o.k. for my first attempt. Yesterday, I decided to play with it some more and added pen and ink. I am more comfortable drawing with pen than painting with a brush. I think it looks more interesting now. I decided to do the same thing with my second attempt (below). Now I'm not so unhappy with the new (for me) medium.
This second attempt was with acrylic paint mixed with white so it would be more opaque. It is on a primed canvas panel. Again, I didn't like the result, but played with my pen and now I'm satisfied with my little experiment. I hope to take a class in this medium in the fall so I will learn to paint.
These paintings were from a photo I took last month at Red Rock Canyon in Nevada.
The garden is growing. We are starting to have snap peas. The yellow flowers in the 2nd photo are on a cabbage plant. I think I'm supposed to pull it out now, but not sure. The cabbage leaves were somewhat like bak choy and very delicious. There are a few left for the weekend.
A little research on the net showed me why our radishes did not bulb. It was too hot here! (Can you imagine that in NH?)
I have been experimenting with acrylic tube paints on all sorts of surfaces. I've tried watercolor paper, primed canvas, mat board, Yupo and a few others. Interesting, but I'm frustrated at this point and have not been able to make anything to show. Three people who came into my office/studio liked the effects and the abstract look of one painting. That was nice, but not what I was attempting to do. I'll keep playing with these for a while and take an actual class in the fall. I think I need to just take one leaf, or one flower and attempt that instead of a landscape (I was working on a cactus with flowers), perhaps just one paddle of the cactus. The Yupo paper (a synthetic paper) gave very interesting effects.
Meanwhile I'm thinking of setting up a query on Facebook or Linked In to try to get people's opinions on whether or not they would ever buy art (prints/cards) online, why etc. My web site is attracting lookers, but no buyers. The cards and prints are very reasonably priced and I do well at craft shows. I was hoping to sell a few online, but this doesn't seem to be happening. I'm thinking that my crafts are more of an impulse buy when you see them, rather than something that is searched for and bought online. Readers, any comments?
(I did put the query on Facebook today, but I'm not sure how their discussion boards work so I don't know if I did it right.)
Another card design for Rosh Hashanah. The other one also uses the same words, both in Hebrew and English. See my website for picture of final design on previous picture.
This one is watercolor pencil (Derwent Inktense brand) on 140 lb cold press watercolor paper. I enjoyed working with these pencils and paper. Easier than the last design. Next, I'm thinking about cacti. I don't know how my mind goes from fruit to cacti, but I'm having fun with art.
I am working on studies of pomegranates for Jewish New Year cards. Pomegrantes are symbols in both Jewish and Chinese art. This study was done with Chinese paints on double shuan paper. The background is a tea wash. The "chop" says "Linda". I ordered it several years ago from a Chinese shop in Los Angeles. These can be ordered through the internet as well.
I will probably do two cards, both saying in Hebrew, L'Shanah Tova (For a good year) and in English "Best wishes for a sweet and fruitful new year". The second study I did was of the pomegranates in a basket, but I didn't like my composition and need to work on another one. I may wind up doing this with watercolor or acrylics. The Chinese paper is very hard to work with.
See actual card on my website . It's under new products, also under holidays, inspirational.
Watercolor pencil study done at botanical illustration class, finished at home. Background done with tea wash at home and Chinese brush. I couldn't scan in the whole picture (too big) so the bottom of the stem is missing.