Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Experiments

This is my experiment with palette knife painting. You can see the earlier view in the last post.  It was fun to do and I think I'll just leave it as is.  This started out as a photo of lily pads in a pond with trees in the background. Since I usually paint somewhat realistically, this was a nice change for me. Acrylic paint on canvas board, 11" X 14".  Original photo was from Round Pond on one of the trails at Lake Pawtuckaway State Park (NH).

This one is just a quick study for a larger painting. It is acrylic paint on medium texture artist canvas (that comes in a pad, not mounted). I taped it to a board to work on it.  It is 8" X 10" and I will be doing a 16" X 20" canvas later in the summer as a donation to a group home.  I took the photo of the sunrise when I was in Costa Rica last winter.  Sunrises can also be metaphors for a new day, a new start so I thought that was appropriate for the site it will be going on.

I have started to learn how to paint with oil paints now.  I started a painting today of a Bird of Paradise flower done with acrylic paints. When I finish it, I will do a second painting of the same image with the oil paints so that I can compare them.  So far I have only painted a color wheel with the oil paints to see how the paint goes on the canvas.

Time seems to be going very fast this summer.  Meanwhile, I also submitted an entry to the Currier Museum's poster contest -- "live free and ....."  Naturally, my entry was about hiking. I don't expect to win, but you never know unless you try.


No comments: