Friday, July 26, 2013

Mendenhall Glacier - Alaska


This is a small 8" X 10" acrylic painting on stretched canvas of the Mendenhall Glacier in Alaska.  I painted it from a photo provided by a family member.  She requested the painting and I think it is finished now.

This is really the first time I've done any type of commission for someone.  It was interesting working from someone else's photo since I have never been there (but would like to go!). First we had to decide on a composition since her photo was a panorama type and she wanted an 8" X 10" canvas.

I made several sample compositions using Photoshop.  I made several other painting decisions too. She told me that the ice was bluer than in the original photo and I knew this from other friends that had been there. I looked online at other photos and paintings to get an idea of colors.  As always, you can click on any of the photos and you will get a larger image.

I took a digital photo of my painting and noticed that the colors are not quite accurate with my painting.  I always struggle a little to get a good photo, but this is fairly accurate. I will let the painting set for a few days to make sure I don't want to change anything else, then buy a frame for it.  The other possibility was putting a canoe in the painting (to show scale), but I felt it would detract from the painting and would be too small so I opted not to do this.

Here are some of the original photos I was working with. The top one is the original panorama.
Notice the color of the ice. I thought it was really beautiful.

And the canoe that didn't make it into the final painting:

No comments: