Thursday, January 27, 2011

What is poetry good for?

“To remind people of their own humanity.” Student answer

“That struck me as so sensible, so moving, so poignant . . . You know, I’m mortal, I exist, I have my own conscience, I have my own being, myself. Here I am with this universe. Maybe there’s a God; maybe there’s no God. This is my predicament, my human predicament. Poetry reminds readers of that.”

Charles Simic (American poet laureate consultant, 2007-2008) as quoted in: The Poets Laureate Anthology, Edited by E. H. Schmidt, copyright 2010, ISBN 978-0-393-06181-9

I don't have time for creating my own poetry and art at this time of year as my business is keeping me very busy, but I am enjoying reading a few poems every night. This is a library book that I took out and I've already renewed it once, so I doubt that I'll get to the end before it goes back, but it is interesting.

No comments: