Thursday, May 3, 2012

Underpainting

I have been playing with acrylic color paints for the background of a flower painting. I have a beautiful photo I took in Eilat of bougainvillea. These flowers are bright red (also have some photos of the flowers in magenta and orange). I'm not sure what I'm going to put in the background so I was playing with mixing a variety of different colors. Meanwhile, I have done a color study in my sketch book and I think I have an idea of how to proceed.

The 2 panels above are 8" X 10".  They are Ampersand artist panels, smooth finish (1/8" flat). I have not tried smooth finish boards before.  I applied the mix of paint with a sponge on the right one, and a combination of sponge and brush on the left.  This was so much fun to do that I covered another board too. The combination is Dark Titanium White (Master's Touch), Burnt Sienna (Atelier) and Arylamide Yellow Light (Atelier).

This one is a Fredrix 11" X 14" canvas board ("Quality Artist Canvas Panel"). I don't know what I'm going to paint on these yet, but I was having a good time and I'll figure out something.  I thought the color would be lighter, but it dried a bit darker than I expected. I probably should have mixed in some white. The color splashes on the right are done on an acrylic acid free pad (Canson).

No comments: