Saturday, May 12, 2012

Old City drawing variations

I have been playing with my pen and ink drawing of the Old City (inside the walls in Jerusalem, Israel). The drawing on the left is the original with sepia pens on vellum paper. I'm not sure if I'm done with the drawing yet. I have to think about it some more.

The drawing in the middle is a print made by scanning in my original, putting it into Photoshop and adding some red. It comes out looking like a wash of sepia.

The drawing on the far right is the scanned in original, printed out (without the red) and colored with Derwent Inktense watercolor pencils.  An interesting process, but acid free cardstock paper is not the best choice when using a little water with the pencils. I'm not sure how it will work on the vellum paper. I'll wait until I have another class and discuss further with my teacher.  Just a fun exercise for me.

Another view of the easel with my original photograph printed out. The colors are somewhat dull since it was later in the day. Although the sun was out and the sky quite blue, there were many shadows in the alley.  If you look at the photo carefully, you'll notice that I omitted the trash bags in my drawing. I like being able to pick and choose what I include and exclude when I draw or paint.

No comments: