Wednesday, November 12, 2008

November again


the trail is blanketed with leaves
as I follow the dog around the pond
dull yellows and browns
no longer the brilliant reds
like the burning bush by our house

the acorns have finally finished dropping
on the wooden deck
startling me with their loud noise

the mums are withering
the garden bare
a few herbs hanging on
to grow again in spring

the first snow was early this year
and melted quickly
the nights are frosty
and we cuddle under a warm quilt

in the evening I take out
yarn and knitting needles
another pair of mittens
for a daughter far away
reminding me of mother
and her granny squares
my weekly phone calls
now with my children
as hers used to be with me

seasons change
each with its own beauty
the earth rests, then renews
November again



copyright 2002 Linda H. Feinberg

No comments: