Thursday, August 28, 2014

Framing

What a difference a frame makes. I bought some float frames and just set my recent paintings in them to see how they look. Four Corners Farm (in Vermont) above, Connecticut River Valley below (looking from Vermont to mountains in New Hampshire).

These two oil paintings don't actually need to be framed as they are on stretched canvas and can just be wired to hang as is.  I am doing an exhibit on September 20th in Manchester (Art in the Park) through the Manchester Artists Association at Veterans Park.  I will be sharing a space with another artist who has all the materials (canopy, walls etc.).  This will be my first outdoor show and I am hoping to sell at least one original painting as well as some cards.  Presentation is important and I have to decide on which paintings to exhibit.

I'm calling this one Canyon Colors.  It is also an oil painting (water mixable) like the others above, but is on a panel, not a stretched canvas.  That means I would not be able to use the float frame, but I may have some other frames that are suitable.  I like the way it came out.  This was from a photo I took of a beautiful canyon at Yellowstone Park.

I did a small (5" X 7") study of an interesting house in Manchester.  It was good practice, but I'm not sure if I'll do a bigger painting of this or not. I enjoyed making a winter scene as I love winter and I'm glad summer is almost over. I'm looking forward to fall. We already had some fall colors on the trees here.

This is a work in progress, the last one I hope to work on with the oil paints for a while. I am ready to go back to the acrylic paints.  It will be a jetty (rocks that go out into the ocean) in winter.  The original photo was taken in winter on Cape Cod. It looks very abstract at the moment, but when the painting is finished it will be more realistic.

No comments: