Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Red Rock Canyon (acrylic)



This is an acrylic painting on Richeson's uncradled painting panel (8" X 10"). I put on 2 coats of gesso. I found it easier to paint on this surface than on canvas. The painting is from a photo I took in Red Rock Canyon, Nevada last spring. I'm not sure if it's done yet so I'll wait awhile before I put varnish on it. Obviously I'm not trying to be realistic, but I thought it was a good impression of what I saw while we were hiking there. I think the plants are called "Yucca".

Here are two earlier versions as I was working on it. I thought it would be interesting to keep a record for myself.  I had a hard time with the red rocks which are not really red or orange. I finally dulled them down a bit with a blue glaze.
This is my beginning. The one below is a bit further along.

No comments: