Friday, December 4, 2009

Pen and Ink



I worked on this pen and ink drawing some more, putting it away several times, pulling it out and tinkering.  I think it's done now.  (See post of August 20th for earlier version).  My scanner is not big enough for this paper (11" X 15") so I took some photos.  I had some difficulties with getting a good picture.  Finally, I took the drawing outside and tried a photo in the bright sunlight. That seemed to help a bit.

The drawing was from a photo I took at the Alta ski area in Utah in June while hiking with my daughter.  The mountain is called Devil's Castle. I was about 8,000-9,000 feet up, so I think it is probably about 11,000 feet at the top.  Even though it was June, the tops of the mountains still had snow on them.

The drawing is on Arches 140 lb watercolor cold press paper. Initially I thought I might use some watercolor on it. That's why I used that paper.  But now I think I will leave it as a pen and ink drawing.  I don't want to ruin what I did already.

I liked the scenes in Utah so much that I played with some of my photos with Photoshop and made some small cards with them.  I'll have a craft table on Sunday and will put them out.  Hope to get some positive comments along with some sales.

No comments: