Friday, May 1, 2009

Seeds




seeds sliding into grooves
the feel of warm, soft earth
sunlight bringing color and freckles
children in shorts
bare legs dusted with dirt
baseball gloves, lacrosse sticks
dogs running wild
rolling over and over
trampling violets
digging for chipmunks
crickets chirping at dusk
spring



copyright 1990 Linda H. Feinberg
from
red poppies and green clover

I have been spending some time sifting out rocks and getting my garden soil ready for planting. The seeds have been purchased and I will be planting my vegetable garden this weekend. I'm looking forward to it. I still enjoy playing in the dirt. While this is an old poem, I still have the images in my mind from the time when I created it (in the early 1980's). I thought of it again today and I'm glad I can still plant seeds every year although I miss our old dogs. A bittersweet memory.


No comments: