Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Summer's Ending

I didn't do much painting this summer, but I had fun in my class last week, playing with sponges, brushes and acrylic paints. I'm calling this one "Peak-a-boo". 9 X 12 on stretched canvas. I really enjoyed playing with the colors, but it was very messy working with a small sponge. If I try this again, I'll use something bigger.  That is a moray eel peaking out (worked from my son's diving photo).

On a more serious note, I finished this in class, from my photo in Alaska. Orcas (killer whales) and sea stacks in Kenai Fjords.  This was not a fun painting, but a challenging one.  Oil paint, 14 X 18 on stretched canvas.  I bought several larger size canvases at a sidewalk sale this summer. The local art store has a sale in July every year.  I enjoy looking through the bargains and always come home with something.  I'm not sure what I'm going to paint on the larger canvases.

I'm looking forward to fall and some cooler weather. Boise is very hot in the summer, but I appreciate the winters here, very little snow. It's much easier for me than all the winters I lived in New Hampshire.

Next week I have an exhibit going up in Boise at a co-op gallery. I will be "artist of the month" of September.  I'll post a photo and more information after I put up the paintings on Sept. 3rd.




No comments: