Thursday, January 16, 2014

Limited Color Palette

View from the Noon Peak Trail

I'm still playing around with a limited palette. This is the same one that I used in the painting a couple of weeks ago, of the view from Jennings Peak. The difference is that this time I tried the same colors with Winsor & Newton Artisan water mixable oils.  I felt the result was better. I was able to get better darks with the oil paints. I used ultramarine blue, cadmium red, phthalo green, cadmium yellow light and white.  (I didn't have viridian in my oil colors so I thought the phthalo green was close enough to try the same experiment.)  This is an 8" X 10" oil painting on canvas board. You can buy a card or print on my website.

I did finally put up a few drawings and one painting on ebay.  Only about 20% of art listed there sells, but I thought I would give it a try.  This is the link: http://www.ebay.com/usr/avisiblevoice

My cousins have started some genealogy, trying to go back a few generations.  The photo below surfaced. It is apparently my paternal great grandmother's brother.  We have the name "Rabbi Y'Shia Stebsa Dion" with several different opinions.  "Dion" apparently is a word for judge.  We're not sure if Stebsa is a name or a place, or a variant of one of those.  "Y'Shia" may be short for Yeshayahu. Meanwhile, I keep looking at the photo and thinking it would make a good piece for me to go back to pencil drawing practice. My father's family came to America from Minsk (now part of Belarus) in 1914 and we don't have much information, other than the names of his parents' siblings.


I'm also working on a small canvas with just the seagull and rock from my last post. It needs one more layer of paint (acrylic). I will put that up next week.

No comments: