Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Float Frame

This was my first experience with mounting a stretched canvas into a float frame. Notice the gap between the frame and the canvas, this makes the canvas appear to be floating, thus the name float or floater frame. I think this works for this painting, but I see that I need to do a little touch up on the bottom of the painting. It looks fine in the picture above, but I see some of the gray undercolor at the bottom.  I guess this is what happens when you use an easel. So now I've learned to take the finished painting off the easel, lay it flat, and make sure all the sides of the canvas are covered and do not show up as the undercolor or white (unless I'm mounting the canvas in a regular frame). Another learning experience.

This was a painting I had done earlier and had wired to hang "as is" in my studio. I wanted to put it into a local contest and it needed to be framed. The canvas was inexpensive and it turned out not to be 100% square so it didn't fit into a regular frame (another lesson, don't buy really cheap canvases). I thought a float frame would work for it and it did.

This is the view from Mount Willard in the Crawford Notch area of New Hampshire. The mountains in the distance are the Presidential Range. They are too high for me to hike, but Mount Willard was not too steep. It was a worthwhile hike, mostly inside the tree line.  The wonderful view of the mountains and the roads below come at the end. There is a nice area to sit on at the top and have a little picnic.

By the way, if you are thinking of doing this, it is an easy project. There are many sites on the internet, even on Youtube with instructions.  The frame (bought from Dick Blick) came with holes already drilled so all I had to do with put a screw through the hole, long enough to go into the frame of the canvas. I already had the wiring done and didn't have to redo it. You don't need any special tools, just a screwdriver.

No comments: