Monday, January 9, 2012

WIP - Acrylic Paintings

I haven't finished the two paintings I was working on. I decided to leave them for the spring when I will be back in class and I can review with a teacher. The barn still needs to have some work in the foreground (some grasses and maybe some hints of color). I prefer working on landscapes, but this was interesting for a man-made structure. It's the same barn that I did awhile back, but this is the side of the barn and larger (11 X 14).

I think Drake's Brook is done. I used glazing medium with a touch of ultramarine blue on the water areas (the brook). I'm not sure what else I need to do, so I'll come back to it in a few months and look at it again.

I am finishing a good art book and returning it to the library soon: "Expressive Oil Painting" by George Allen Durkee. "An Open Air Approach to Creative Landscapes" -- while I am not doing any plein aire painting, it was still a worthwhile read. The composition information and creative ideas work just as well for acrylic painting as oil painting.

Meanwhile, the only snow in Manchester is the man-made stuff at McIntyre ski area. I was missing it so much that I took a walk there today and took some photos. This was before the end of the school day so there were very few skiers. This is a hill that I like to hike in the other seasons. It makes a nice loop around Weston Tower and the old city reservoir. Not too steep and a good workout for my senior legs.

No comments: