Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Three today

This is an acrylic painting on panel, 11" X 14" of a canal in Leuven (Louvain), Belgium. I lived there from 1969-1974. I'm not sure which year I took the photo, but probably around 1970. I had scanned in the photo from an old 35mm negative and thought it would make an interesting painting. I haven't been back to Belgium so I don't know how the city looks now.



This is also an acrylic painting on panel, but very small, 6" X 6". I enjoy painting small panels since they go much faster. These are poppies that could grow anywhere, but my photo was taken in Israel several years ago at a kibbutz that we were visiting on our tour.
And finally, just for fun, I played with my acrylic paints on 300 lb cold press watercolor paper, also 11" X 14". These were old pieces of paper that came in a sample pack. I still have one more to play with. Acrylic paint is a waterbased paint, so it can be handled like watercolor, diluted with water, or mixed with medium and used on canvases, like oil.  The painting is based on a photo taken several years ago (are you sensing a theme here? -- old photos are useful). 

This is Hopewell Rocks on the Bay of Fundy in New Brunswick, Canada, a very interesting tourist site.

I am finished with my fall painting class and I think I learned a lot about handling acrylic paint. I won't be able to take another class until spring, but I'll keep on painting, drawing and taking photos. There will always be something to blog about.

No comments: