Thursday, February 4, 2016

More studies and one finished painting

This is a 9 X 12 acrylic study done from a photo I took in Israel in 2012.  The ruins are of a Crusader Castle overlooking the Mediterranean Sea. They are part of Yehiam Fortress National Park.  I liked the study enough so that I have started on a larger painting.  I have just started on the undercolor (photo below) so far and a little of the trees. I will work on it more this week.  I'm painting this one with acrylics on gessoed hardboard (not canvas). I like to experiment with different surfaces.  I cheated a little and borrowed a friend's projector to enlarge the painting. I didn't feel like doing a grid to enlarge it.

Yehiam study undercolor 16" X 20"

I had an exhibit at the Bedford NH Library during the month of January 2016. When I looked at one of my paintings, I realized that it had a small area that I wasn't happy with. Now that I have it back, I have fixed it. Here is the final version of November Day.


Meanwhile I have applied for a summer exhibit in a bank that is expanding and is looking for artists willing to hang 15 paintings for six months.  I have a lot of competition for that space, but I'm hoping that they will choose me for one of their upcoming exhibits.

On the personal front, I have a medial meniscus tear so I am having to paint sitting down for now.  I find that I prefer painting standing at my easel as I have more freedom of arm movement and I like to walk back and forth to the easel to see how the painting is looking as I make progress with it.  Hopefully, this will heal soon.  We are having a mild winter in New Hampshire, unlike the states to the south, so I am a little frustrated that I can't walk and hike as much as I used to do. I remind myself that "this too will pass" (famous wise words when the children were teenagers!).


No comments: