Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Weekend in Vermont

I had my first experience with plein air painting in Vermont this past weekend.  Just figuring out what to pack was interesting.  Anyway, I followed some instructions on DVD's and in books and I had enough supplies with me.  I stayed at the home of another artist and she guided me to the locations.

I found it very difficult to paint like this.  I was using water mixable oils which I am trying to get used to. I still prefer acrylics, but they dry very fast, especially in the summer, so I thought it would be better to experiment with oils.  I tried a farm scene with a barn on my first day. (Four Corners Farm, north of Bradford, Vermont)

On the second day I tried a mountain scene. This one was in Newbury, Vermont, overlooking the Connecticut River Valley. The mountains seen are in New Hampshire, on the other side of the river.  This was a little easier than the barn, but I still had difficulty with the colors.  I may try to finish these two paintings up in my studio later this week.


I did some sketching too.  That was more enjoyable for me.


I put up more photos in my web albums at this link: Weekend in Vermont


No comments: