Friday, April 11, 2014

Canyonlands-WIP

Making progress with my larger (16" X 20") acrylic painting of the Canyonlands (Utah). Hope to work on it some more this weekend. (Photos are in reverse order, most recent one on top.)


I used an undercolor wash of neutral gray on the canvas. Then I just tried to get the shapes in the right places.  I made an 8" X 10" print and did a grid on it so I could get shapes in approximately the right places and proportions.  I didn't feel the need to be too exact since this is just my impression of the scene.

As I work toward finishing it, I am concerned both with color and value. The midground needs to be a bit faded (lighter) so you get the sense of distance (atmospheric perspective). Utah has really magnificent vistas in its national parks, so I hope to get a sense of that too.


No comments: