Wednesday, December 5, 2012

The Old Gate

This is a 9" X 12" acrylic painting done from one of my photos taken in Utah while I was there recently. I didn't have a small canvas in my studio and didn't want to do a large painting of this scene, so I took one of my old paintings, tried washing it off (that didn't work), let it dry, then painting on a layer of gesso, let that dry, then a layer of neutral gray and let that dry.  That worked and covered up the old painting and I have some other canvas boards that I am unhappy with and can use that process on too.  Meanwhile, I had a chance to buy more 8 X 10 and 11 X 14 canvas boards so I don't have to go through that process again. It's good to know that it works and I can recycle old boards and make new paintings.

This scene was at the Fielding Garr ranch on Antelope Island (Antelope Valley State Park).  My daughter and I had a wonderful day there, saw lots of bison, mule deer etc. The ranch was quite interesting too and we spent some time walking around and learning about ranching.  This island is in the middle of the Great Salt Lake.  They were able to ranch there (and the bison herds are able to do well there) because there are natural springs with fresh water on the island. (See Nov. 20 posting -- last 2 photos.)

My painting of the snowmobile won "Artist of the Month" at the Manchester Artists Association meeting this week and is on display at the Bedford (NH) public library this month.  (See Nov 1. posting for photo.)

2 comments:

Roy said...

Beautiful work.

Linda H. Feinberg said...

Thank you. I revised the painting a little, even after the next post. It is done now.