Saturday, April 3, 2010

Self-Portrait/Pencil


I have been working on this pencil self-portrait on and off for a few weeks, just a few minutes at a time. I started from a photo to get the angle and shape of the face, but then I bought a mirror to put up on my easel.  I think it looks like me but I certainly need more practice at this. When I started taking art classes 10 years ago, I never imagined I would be drawing at this level, so I am pleased but still see room for improvement. My next class starts in a few weeks, botanical illustration. I'm looking forward to it. For those of you who think I should have done a smiley face, I preferred my half smile expression. It's a better reflection of my inner self. Of course, one of the problems with drawing in pencil (grayscale) is that I couldn't figure out how to portray my white hair.  Maybe someday I'll do a color portrait.

We are having a beautiful day today, so now I'm going out to play in the dirt and do some more yard cleanup.  I can actually plant my onion sets today. I have some coming up from last year, so I know it's safe to put them in.  It's too early here to plant anything else.

No comments: