Thursday, August 20, 2009

Decisions....decisions....







This is a pen and ink sketch I am working on from my trip to Utah in June (11" X 15"). It is a view of Devil's Castle at the Alta ski area. It is on watercolor paper so I can add color, but now I have to make some decisions. If I paint it, I can't go back to black and white. I could paint it realistically (the tops of the mountains had snow on them, the sky was very bright blue, no clouds), or in fanciful colors, or just a little bit of color. Or, I could crop the picture and leave that big rock out of it. I could leave it black and white.

Meanwhile I sent a jpg file to my art teacher. I will be starting classes again in September and she said to just bring it in to discuss. So, I guess for the moment I will just leave it and think about it some more. I have lots of art supplies so I can always start a new picture.

I might take it to a shop with a bigger scanner (mine is too small to scan in) and then play with it on my computer. I wasn't able to get a good photo, the paper is actually quite white, but the photo shows up gray. I probably have to adjust something on my camera. Would be happy to have some reader comments, or you can send me a direct e-mail if you don't want to post on this blog. Thanks.

Later: The first image above was scanned at Kinko's. That is closer to the original.

No comments: