Thursday, August 13, 2020

Rosh Hashanah 2020/5781

 


I was thinking about the Jewish new year which starts in September.  2020 hasn't been a good year for most people so I am hopeful that 5781 (the Jewish year) will be better.  The verse is from the Haftarah reading last shabbat.  This is from a series of haftarot from Isaiah about consolation (after the destruction of the temple in Jerusalem (remembered on Tisha B'Av this month).  Isaiah is trying to console the people with hope for the future.  I can relate to that.

I will probably design something else for the holiday as I have time to think about it more. The photo was taken in Israel in 2012 when I was on an 8 week trip then. We were touring the Eilat area with a group and this was in a botanical park there. Eilat is at the southern end of Israel, after a long drive through the desert. While it is a big tourist area, I found something spiritual there too.



No comments: