Friday, September 14, 2012

Painting Dorrs Pond - 2 ways

I felt like working a little with pen & ink and watercolor.  I had a beautiful photo from last year that I liked, but did not want to include the pond in my sketch, just the building this time.  I didn't like the composition enough to actually do a larger canvas with acrylic paint, but I did enjoy doing the little sketch (9 X 12). 

I used Higgins black India ink to start and a dip pen. I usually use the Micron disposable or similar pens for pen & ink work, but I wanted to try something different.  I did get one big blob of ink in one spot, but since this was only a little sketch, I wasn't worried about it.  I used Photoshop to get rid of the blob in the top photo. I may just use this sketch to make a couple of cards for my next local craft show. This was on Strathmore 140 Lb Cold Press paper (on a block).  I also used some Derwent Inktense pencils in a few places.  These are water soluble ink pencils. You can wet the paper a little, then sand down the tip of a pencil so that the particles fall into the wet area.  This helps give a little texture.

This is an acrylic painting I started in the spring, then put away because I was not happy with it.  I finally pulled it out and finished it, changing the color in certain places.  This is also Dorrs Pond in the fall. It is a small acrylic painting (6 X 12) on a panel.  The texture of the panel is different than working on a canvas. I don't think I would do a bigger piece with this type of panel.  I didn't really enjoy painting on that type of surface.  I have one more 11 X 14 panel in stock and I am procrastinating on painting on it.  I started another 16" X 20" canvas and that is more interesting (a mountain scene). I will work on that over the weekend. I'm also trying to finish up another small painting (desert/rocks) I started in the spring and it is almost done. I will post that one next week.




No comments: